Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy new year.

I probably say it every year, but this year it especially has new meaning for me...if you would have told me this time last year, where I would be starting 2013 at, I never would have believed it. It was nice wrapping up 2012. I'm excited about this new year.

I have been so bad about blogging in the past few months. Moving sucked a lot of energy out of me, and we are finally feeling much more settled. It also helps that the focus and chaos of Christmas is over. Mike left for Africa today, and even though it always takes a big adjustment when he's gone, I know more about where he is at and his day to day there while he is at work. The last time he left overseas, it was a new destination. It takes awhile to settle, and the past few years of contract work have made that difficult. Even though this is new...it's a totally different direction. It all seems positive, and we feel like we can start breathing again. Whew.

His rotation home this past time was perfect. He was home in time for Christmas and was here through the holiday season. Everything worked out so well and the usual stress of past years was not an issue this year. I can say that this was the best Christmas that I can remember in a very long time. It felt like home again.

The kids are still home on winter break for the next few days. They have had two weeks off, which already is a bonus compared to winter break in Kentucky where it was only one week, but also snow days were figured into that. We definitely won't be anticipating those this year. I'm glad to have the two weeks off in one chunk instead of hoping for two weeks all together between break and snow days. Which...I am sure tomorrow will be one at our old house since it looks like they were getting snow today. It doesn't take much to call a snow day with the rural roads. I do kind of miss watching the news and hoping to see our school listed on the bottom...and the kids with their weird snow day rituals of sleeping with a spoon under a pillow and wearing jammies inside out. Those were fun nights, and even more fun when the kids would wake up late the next day and wonder why I hadn't gotten them up for school. As one of my friends posted on facebook, "The crisp silence of winter that comes with a good snow is beautiful." Yes, it is.

But hey, I was able to take the kids out for a bike ride today...which could not be done this time of year back east. I did get to wear a winter coat, scarf and boots to take the dog for a walk this evening though! Yay for coats!







No comments:

Post a Comment