Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October

Not sure where the time has gone again...

I figured I better make a post so I don't forget everything going on in life. I hope to go back into detail in my album for the year.

Lots of things since my last post. Trip to Chicago with Mike for our anniversary, lots of busy life in between, seasons changing, trip to Lebanon KY to see TURTLE MAN, and preparing for a move across the country back to Phoenix.

I have been going between very excited about moving and getting on with things, and trying to take in as many things as I can that I know I am going to miss about Kentucky and my life here for the past several years. It was very difficult putting in my notice at work. I am really going to miss the people that I met and worked with there. Many friendships will continue, but it's not like being in the trenches together (especially as the Christmas season is approaching, and trees and other Christmas decorations are already up at the store!) So many of the people have become family and made my transition here amazing.

I am also excited about going back to Phoenix. To family, to friends I have missed there. Mexican food. Multiple Target locations, Fresh & Easy....each day I think of random things that I can't wait to be near again. (- and EAT.) Plus a new beautiful house (that Mike found and I can't wait to see in person.) that I think will be perfect.

So I have been trying to take in as much as I can here. The people, the scenery, the things unique to here. Today is my birthday, and as much as I wanted to come up with excuses not to go out and exercise I made an abrupt left turn into a church parking lot on Main street and decided to park my car. I was on my way home from taking the kids to school. I figured I better talk myself into it quickly, or I would have easily driven back home.

I'm so glad I got out of that car.

I ended up walking and running four miles today. Down Main, up Main, near the RR tracks, and through the old cemetary. The air was crisp which led to making me want to run to stay warm. I took in the sounds of crunching leaves, trains, traffic down Main street.(In between the sounds of my clunky stride and heavy breathing! I'm not a pretty runner.) I realized how pretty it is, and watching people leaving for work, dropping kids off at daycare, running by the silly "Walton...The Place To Be" water tower that I always think in my mind, "Yeah, if you've never been anywhere else!" - and the smell of Brook's Family Restaurant in the morning, that smells like bacon and pancakes for a mile radius.

A teacher that Matthew had in fourth grade, who lives in a historic house was out sweeping leaves off of her sidewalk. I'm not sure she remembers who I am, but she said "Good Morning!" as I ran by. Several people did. People are friendly. It is almost Mayberry like. The cute old lady inside the big Baptist church where I have volunteered with Kohl's over the past few years...I have wrapped presents, painted rooms and hallways, and stuffed backpacks for hundreds of kids for area school donations in there. Even though I don't go there, I have a friend who organizes a lot of charity events through work there. The mailman who has to get out of his truck, old school, and deliver letters up to front door mailboxes, the guys that water the flowers hanging in baskets on light poles down Main. It was cool. And what it is typically like here. I'm happy for the experience here.

The sky was blue with a pretty sunrise still in the east. Big puffy clouds. The old houses all have piles of pumpkins and potted mums on the front porches and steps.

I had one last stretch of road before I was going to head back to my car, and I turned Beautiful Day from U2 on my phone. It was a perfect moment. I'm sure I will remember this day.

Mike will be getting home in a couple of days from a trip to Africa, and then we'll start getting ready to head on out. For now I am going to drink my McDonald's unsweet tea, shower, wait for something that Mike told me not to go far from the house today, clean and whatever. (Do you have to specifically order UNsweet tea in Phoenix anymore??? I'm so used to "sweet or unsweet honey?")

Then I have an appointment to get my hair done, and a nice dinner out with the kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment